Health and Safety
Learn everything about magic mushrooms and the safety surrounding them here.
What are magic mushrooms?
Psilocybin or magic mushrooms are naturally occurring and are consumed for their hallucinogenic effects. They belong to a group of drugs known as psychedelics, which trigger changes in perception, mood and thought.
The key ingredient in magic mushrooms is psilocybin. When psilocybin is taken, it’s converted in the body to psilocin, which is the chemical with the psychoactive properties.
What do they look like?
Magic mushrooms look much like ordinary mushrooms. There are many different types of magic mushrooms, find out more about the on our Shroomland page.
They can also come as dried material in capsules.
Effects of magic mushrooms
There is no safe level of drug use. Use of any drug always carries some risk. It’s important to be careful when taking any type of drug.
Magic mushrooms can affect everyone differently, based on:
- Size, weight and health
- Whether the person is used to taking it
- Whether other drugs are taken around the same time
- The amount taken
- The strength of the mushroom (varies depending on the type of mushroom)
- The effects of magic mushrooms usually begin in 30 minutes when eaten, or within 5–10 minutes when taken as a soup or tea and can last approximately four to six hours.
During this time, the person may experience:
- Euphoria and wellbeing
- Change in consciousness, mood, thought and perception (commonly called a trip)
- Dilation of pupils
- Perceptual changes, such as visual and auditory hallucinations.
- Stomach discomfort and nausea
- Fast or irregular heartbeat
- Increased body temperature
- Breathing quickly
- Facial flushes, sweating and chills1,2
The use of magic mushrooms rarely results in any life-threatening symptoms. If a large amount or a strong batch of mushrooms is consumed, the person may experience:
- Muscle weakness
- Panic or paranoia
- Rarely in the most serious cases psychosis can reportedly occur
Sometimes a person may experience the negative effects of magic mushrooms and have what is called a bad trip involving the following:
- Unpleasant or intense hallucinations
- Panic or fear
Tolerance and dependence
Tolerance develops rapidly with continued use, resulting in the drug having little to no effect over time. Discontinuing use for a week or so will return people to their normal tolerance level.
Health and safety
The main risk of taking magic mushrooms is that some look very similar to certain types of poisonous mushrooms. So, it’s important to know what you’re taking – if in doubt, do not take them.
This is why it’s important to order from a safe and reputable source, always look for SHROOMLAND as your go to when it comes to reliability.
Taking mushrooms regularly does not appear to result in physical dependence, and therefore it’s unlikely a person will experience difficulty in stopping use.
There are a lot of different strains available of magic mushrooms.
We pride ourselves on having a reliable, safe and premium product. A large variety including some exotic mushrooms that you wouldn’t easily be able to acquire.